What is Acidosis?
Acidosis is a condition where there is too much acid in the body fluids.
Your kidneys and lungs are responsible for maintaining balance (pH Level) of chemicals like acids and bases (Alkaline) in the body. Acidosis happens when too much acids build up or when bicarbonate (base – Alkaline) is lost. Acidosis is classified as either metabolic or respiratory acidosis.
Respiratory acidosis occurs when there is too much carbon dioxide (acid) in the body. The type of acidosis usually occurs when the body is unable to remove enough carbon dioxide through breathing.
Causes of respiratory acidosis:
· Chest deformities, such as kyphosis
· Chest injuries
· Chest muscle weakness
· Chronic lung disease
· Overuse of sedative drugs
Metabolic Acidosis occurs when too much acid is produced in the body. It also occurs when the kidneys cannot remove enough acid from the body.
There are several types of metabolic acidosis:
Diabetic Acidosis – build-up of ketone bodies (acidic) during uncontrolled diabetes
Hyperchloremic Acidosis – loss of too much sodium bicarbonate from the body, which can happen with severe diarrhoea
Lactic Acidosis – build-up of lactic acid, which can be caused by:
· Too much alcohol
· Vigorous exercise for a very long time
· Liver failure
· Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia)
· Medications, such as salicylates (a major ingredient in aspirin and other pain-relieving medications)
· MELAS (a very rare genetic mitochondrial disorder that affects energy production)
· Prolonged lack of oxygen from shock, heart failure, or severe anaemia
Other causes of metabolic acidosis include:
· Kidney disease
· Poisoning by aspirin, ethylene glycol (found in antifreeze), or methanol
· Server dehydration
What can I do to avoid or reduce my risk for acidosis
· Take sodium bicarbonate or other alkalizing supplements
· Light to moderate exercise
Symptoms of acidosis by Theodore Baroody – Acidosis symptoms article 4
One of the safest and most effective ways is to drink Alkaline Ionized Mineral Water. We have a range of products that produce this kind of water. The benefits of this water is twofold.
- Saliva = the body’s buffering ability (Bicarbonates)
- Urine = acid load of the tissues
Here are two really good articles by Dr. Robert Young from the pH Miracle Program which demonstrate and explain the importance of pH in Human Health.